Last week I watching Little Paris Kitchen on SBS and was inspired by Rachel’s version of Eggs in Pots to have a crack (excuse the pun) at my own on the weekend. We’re very lucky to have our chickens, fresh eggs are plentiful at our house. My version was adapted from Rachel’s, out of a desire to use the bacon in my fridge and the fresh herbs in my garden, I certainly wasn’t driving into town on a Sunday morning just to buy some creme fraiche either, so like all good inventions it was the out of necessity.
- Few big dollops of smooth ricotta cheese and sour cream
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 bacon rashers chopped
- Chopped chives and parsley
- Mix a few dollops of sour cream and ricotta together
- Dollop in one side of each ramekin and break and egg beside it
- Sprinkle some herbs
- Dollop cream mix and egg on opposite side to first egg
- Sprinkle herbs and bacon, you just layer until ramekin is almost full
- Bake in moderate oven for half an hour or until as set as you like your eggs
The bacon turns lovely and crispy on top, so it is essential, no negotiating here, that you get crusty bread smear it with real butter and break it through the crisp bacon layers into the gooey, golden centre and enjoy! The richness of the eggs and ricotta with the fresh herbs and saltiness from the crisp bacon is just great for brunch. It works, so simple, so why not give it go this weekend?.
Love Miss Pip xx