When I had my cafe, I was lucky enough to have quite a few recipes passed onto me by people in the Bourke community. One of the real gems was for a whole orange cake, given to me by Ann Holst.
This cake is so simple to make, works ever time and has a really lovely fruity flavor and moist texture. The best thing is you don’t have to boil the oranges for hours.
In my last post, I had found some blood oranges in our local fruit shop and I was pondering what to do with them. Thank you to my friends for the ideas, which I also plan on trying. This cake is what I ended up making with the blood oranges, by the time I had researched ideas all afternoon, I got impatient and cooked Ann’s lovely cake recipe.
- 1 orange – i used 2 blood oranges
- 1 cup of raisins – i used dates as i didn’t have any raisins
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups plain flour
- In thermomix or food processor blend oranges chop but with skin on, with the raisins and walnuts, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs, vanilla and soda dissolved in water
- Stir in sifted flour and then orange mixture
- Turn into cake tin and bake for about an hour, my oven is fast it was done in 45mins.
I think it would also be lovely with cream cheese icing with a couple of walnuts on top for decoration.