I just love this recipe, a light delicate sponge on top of a lovely lemon sauce, perfect decadence. This is a good recipe version; it always works and has coconut in it which isn’t in other versions I’ve made. Coconut lifts it a little and gives some texture. I’m out at Bourke at the family sheep station and I couldn’t resist but share a photo of the well loved page out of my Mum’s recipe book (see below). This is a real classic in my opinion.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp SR flour
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar, extra
- Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light and creamy. Beat in milk, sift flour, lemon rind and juice, and salt. Stir in coconut.
- Beat egg whites, add extra sugar gradually, Continue until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in lemon coconut mixture.
- Pour into deep greased 20com oven proof dish.
- Stand in a shallow pan of hot water. Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour.
I hope you’ll love this as much as we do. It is such a treat with warm homemade custard, a perfect comfort food for a cold winter’s night.
If you make it let me know what you think.